Meet Me!

I'm the one in the middle!




Hi everyone and welcome to my fan page based of the trilogy of Xenogenesis, written by Octavia Butler! I am a biology student attending San Francisco State University, and created this page for my final project for my RRS 280 class. This page is basically about interesting images, quotes, videos, and music that correlates with this book series. I thought creating a blog page would be a creative way to really share about what I enjoyed or took away from reading the Xenogenesis series. Feel free to add any comments or suggestions!

So Why Read This Series?

Reading the first book in the series Dawn, really changed my heart about reading science fiction novels, because I thought this book genre was the least relatable. But instead, I found myself relating well to the main character Lilith Iyapo, and imagined myself being in her position. I found Lilith to be a stubborn character, but I admire her boldness, rationality, and leadership. Also how she was determine to not be oppressed by the Oankali, and fought to be considered equal not below them. What makes the character Lilith even more intriguing, is that even though she is a black and a female, the Oankali thought she was the best out of everyone to lead. This really empowers black women today to think about our future, to see that our future will be full of leaders who look just like us! That even we can become leader in the future! What I really like about this series is that it broke the boundaries between science fiction, race, and gender.  Destroying the wall of science fiction being typically controlled by and highlighting white males. Now that wall is broken, and we are seeing not only people of color make an impact in science fiction, but also the growing number of women as well! Dawn in particular taught I have the ability to do anything I set my mind to, even if it opposes social norm, I believe that I being a black women can make an impact on the future!